Breast Cancer Screening Program
When breast cancer is diagnosed in its earliest stages, treatment is more effective. We want to ensure everyone has access to the most advanced breast cancer screening. Our Center provides personalized screenings in a comfortable, state-of-the-art environment.
We also partner with Essen Health Care and the Rotary Club of Hudson Valley to bring breast cancer screenings to convenient locations throughout the community. For your convenience, we offer these events on days and times in the evening and on the weekends.
Breast Screening Companions
To help patients navigate breast cancer screening and follow-up testing, we offer Breast Screening Companions through our Bronx Oncology Living Daily (BOLD) Program.
This program pairs knowledgeable, compassionate volunteers with people who need breast cancer screening. The volunteers are there to support anyone with barriers that might keep them from getting access to the care they need. Barriers can include but are not limited to fear, avoidance, misinformation, difficulty getting transportation to appointments and financial challenges.
About Breast Cancer Prevention & Screening
As women age, their risk of breast cancer rises. Though not as common, breast cancer can also occur in men.
Regardless of your breast cancer risk, our specialists can answer your questions and provide the information you need to choose the best next steps for your health. We can help you create a preventive plan that can include:
- Avoiding alcohol
- Eating a healthier diet
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Taking medicines to block or decrease estrogen in the body
- Quitting smoking and avoiding secondhand smoke
Regular screening is also an important part of breast care. Women aged 40 or older may benefit from yearly breast cancer screening mammograms. At age 45, all women should receive yearly mammograms.
Schedule a clinical breast exam right away if you experience:
- Breast or armpit lumps
- Breast pain or rash
- Nipple changes
Cancer Clinical Trials
- Blood & Bone Marrow Cancers
- Brain, Spine & Central Nervous System Cancers
- Breast Cancer
- Childhood Cancers
- Endocrine System Cancers
- Gastrointestinal (GI) Cancers
- Genitourinary (GU) & Urologic Cancers
- Gynecologic Cancers
- Head & Neck Cancers
- Kaposi Sarcoma & AIDS-Related Cancers
- Lung & Chest Cancers
- Prostate Cancer
- Skin Cancer
High-Risk Breast Cancer Screening Program
Some factors put you at higher risk for developing breast cancer. These include:
- Breast density
- Family history of breast or ovarian cancer
- Personal or family history of known breast-cancer causing genes (including BRCA1 or BRCA2)
- Prior cancer diagnosis or treatment with radiation
- Prior cancer biopsies with atypical results
If you are at a higher risk for developing breast cancer, team members from our High-Risk Breast Cancer Surveillance and Prevention Program will talk with you about screening recommendations and provide individualized care. Through our high-risk program, you can access:
- Comprehensive evaluations
- Genetic screening and testing
- Preventive treatment options, which may include removal of the breast tissue, ovaries, or fallopian tubes
Breast Screenings We Offer
Take advantage of annual breast cancer screenings as well as same-day diagnostic evaluations for people with symptoms of breast cancer.
Our screening offerings include:
- Clinical breast exams: A physical examination of your breasts by your doctor
- Same-day diagnostic evaluations: Delivers results in less than 24 hours
- Mammography: Creates X-ray images of breast tissue
- Breast MRI: Uses advanced imaging technology to analyze breast tissue
- Breast ultrasound: Creates images of breast tissue with sound waves
- Minimally invasive needle biopsy: Takes a small sample of breast tissue for testing in a lab
- Portable screening: Uses a handheld iBreastExamTM scanner to help detect signs of breast cancer
Your Breast Screening Results
We work quickly to evaluate breast cancer screening tests. If you are scheduled for a same-day diagnostic evaluation, our specialists will review your screening tests while you wait and provide results before you leave your appointment.
We will provide your results as quickly as possible.
Your care team will reach out to you directly to share results and discuss the next steps. You can also review your results within Montefiore MyChart, our online patient portal.
If you do receive a breast cancer diagnosis, Montefiore Einstein Cancer Center offers comprehensive advanced breast cancer care.