Therapeutic Medical Physics Residency Curriculum
Learn about the curriculum and rotations that comprise the Therapeutic Medical Physics Residency Program at Montefiore Einstein Comprehensive Cancer Center in New York. We follow the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs (CAMPEP) guidelines. Our residency has been continuously certified by CAMPEP since 2010.
We modeled our residency program on the American Association of Physicists in Medicine’s Report 90: Essentials and Guidelines for Hospital-Based Medical Physics Residency Training Programs.
Our faculty are recognized by the American Board of Radiology as specialists in ensuring the safe and effective delivery of radiation for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.
Our curriculum includes:
- Computed Tomography quality assurance (CT QA)
- Didactics with medical residents
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy quality assurance (IMRT QA)
- Linear accelerator quality assurance (Linac QA)
- Participation in clinical research and developmental projects
- Peer review of all clinical cases
- Physics discourses with physicists
- Treatment planning (23 months)
Our curriculum offers hands-on experiences through nine rotations that span 24 months. You will work alongside other residents and our medical physicists as they provide therapy to patients.
- Orientation and Informatics
- Basic Treatment Planning (2D, 3D, basic intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Advanced Treatment Planning (advanced IMRT, RapidArc, RapidPlan and stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT)
- Brachytherapy I
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery I
- Brachytherapy II
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery II
- Radiation Safety, Shielding, Commissioning
- Optional New York Proton Center rotation
Access to Advanced Technology and Therapeutic Programs
You learn how to operate a wide array of specialized medical physics equipment. You also receive comprehensive training in how to provide advanced lifesaving therapy for patients.
Our equipment includes:
- 5 Varian linear accelerators (1 Edge, 1 Halcyon 2.0, 1 Truebeam, 2 Trilogies)
- 2 BrainLAB ExacTrac Dynamics with surface and thermal tracking
- 2 Siemens CT scanners
- Accuray Radixact
- Siemens MR Simulator
- Zeiss Intrabeam 600
Our therapeutic programs include:
- Brachytherapy, such as:
- High dose rate (HDR) with nucletron flexitron
- Prostate seed implants
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) with motion management capabilities using:
- Respiratory gating with deep inspiration breath hold (DIBH)
- Calypso beacon radio frequency (RF) guidance
- Gated RapidArc
- Cone beam computed tomography (CBCT)
- On-board imaging (OBI)
- Intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT)
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) program
- Stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) program using:
- BrainLAB’s ExacTrac
- Elements software
- Total body irradiation (TBI)
- Total skin electron beam therapy (TSET)
Learn More About the Therapeutic Medical Physics Residency Program
We encourage you to learn more about the benefits and compensation package and other specifics about our therapeutic medical physics training program.
Connect with a member of our residency program faculty team.
Apply to the Therapeutic Medical Physics Residency Program
We participate in the American Association of Physicists in Medicine Medical Physics Residency Application Program (MP-RAP).